Business & Policy
EFO announces new entrant program
By Kristy Nudds
March 31, 2011 – A New Entrant Quota Loan Pool (NEQLP) was introduced at the Egg Farmers of Ontario’s (EFO) 46th annual meeting.
The aim of the new entrant program is to help individuals enter the supply-managed egg industry in Ontario. The EFO will allocate a total of 50,000 units of egg quota, over a 10-year period, into the NEQLP. Each year, up to 5,000 units of egg quota will be loaned to the successful applicant(s). Units of egg quota will be loaned to the successful applicant(s) based on a 1:2 ratio (1 bird purchased, 2 birds loaned). For example:
- In order to receive up to a maximum of 2,000 units of loaned quota, the new entrant is required to purchase up to 1,000 units of quota, for a total production of up to 3,000 units of quota
- In order to receive up to a maximum of 5,000 units of loaned quota, the new entrant is required to purchase up to 2,500 units of quota, for a total production of up to 7,500 units of quota.
The applicant(s) will return the loaned units of quota into EFO’s NEQLP as follows:
(X#)units of loaned quota back into the fool in five (20% each) installments – commencing in the 11th year up to and including the 15th year: 20% in the 11th year, 20% in the 12th year, 20% in the 13th year, 20% in the 14th year, 20% in the 15th year.
In order to be eligible for EFO’s New Entrant Quota Loan Pool, an applicant must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant
- Be a permanent resident of Ontario
- Not currently hold quota or been a previous quota holder in any sector under supply management
- Priority will be given to persons between the ages of 18 and 45
Applicants who meet the above criteria will be reviewed by a selection committee comprised of knowledgeable industry representatives. EFO will act a a resource for the committee. The committee members are:
- Laurent Souligny, former chair of the Egg Farmers of Canada and an Ontario egg farmer
- Darryl Ball, OMAFRA
- Craig Bremner, TD CanadaTrust
- Robert Loree, Ward and Uptigrove
- Junior Farmers Association of Ontario
To apply for the NEQLP, interested individuals must fully complete and submit an application along with a non-refundable $100.00 fee with each application. The applicant is encouraged to submit a Business Plan along with the application and must also provide either a detailed description of the proposed egg production facility or attach a copy of the deed/transfer of the property where the egg production facility is located.
Contact Judy Ladner Kean, Director of Data, Quota, and HR at the Egg Farmers of Ontario for an application and more information:
Phone: (905) 858-9790 Fax: (905) 858-1589
Toll Free: 1 800-387-8360
Applications are due May 31, 2011.