View As Webpage | View Archives

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail a Friend
February 5, 2016
FEATURED NEWS: Industry-wide transition away from conventional housing announced by EFC
If you click the images or links in the Sponsor Spotlight advertisement we will provide your subscription contact information only to that sponsor.

More major Canadian restaurants announce cage-free sourcing initiatives

Cara Foods, the owner of such restaurants as Harvey's, Swiss Chalet, Kelsey's and East Side Mario's, announced today it will switch to cage-free eggs in its entire supply chain by 2020. Tim Hortons and Burger King, owned by Restaurant Brands International, made a similar announcement earlier in the week. >> Read full article

Charting the course for sustainability

Retailers, food service companies and manufacturers in the industry have been demanding greater transparency and advanced record keeping from producers and suppliers using environmental and social criteria. However, some international standards for sustainability are more suited to agriculture in developing countries and don’t consider the higher social, environmental and economic standards in developed countries like Canada. >> Read full article

New FeedCheck Express kits available

Canadian Bio-Systems Inc. is offering an upgraded version of the popular FeedCheck Express test kit. It is now paired with an online instructional video quickly accessible via smartphone, tablet or computer. >> Read full article

 Sponsor’s Message 

Wish you could improve bird starts & eliminate transition stall?

Look at this revolutionary new broiler feeder with more feed capacity and easy access to feed that also offers outstanding daily weight gain and management ease. Plus, get the only 14-inch broiler feeder pan with a patented comfort grill and a choice of 8 or 12 grill spokes to accommodate birds of all finish weights. >> Click here for more information.

 Featured News 
Feature News

Industry-wide transition away from conventional housing announced by EFC

Egg Farmers of Canada (EFC) announced today, on behalf of the more than 1,000 Canadian egg farms, the commencement of a coordinated, systematic, market-oriented transition from conventional egg production toward other methods of production for supplying eggs. This collective approach will take hen welfare, human health, other resource implications, environmental impact and food production sustainability all into account. This major shift will yield an almost 50 per cent restructuring in as early as eight years from now and includes a commitment to cease the installation of any new conventional housing. Presently about 90 per cent of egg production is in conventional housing. The other 10 per cent or so is in enriched housing, free-run, aviary or free-range. >> Learn More…

 Event Calendar 

PIC Producer Update

February 10, 2016
Location: Peach King Centre, Grimsby, Ont. >> More Info

PIC Producer Update

February 17, 2016
Location: Mount Forest Community Centre, Mount Forest, Ont. >> More Info