Business & Policy
THYMOX®: The First Agricultural Disinfectant in Canada to Obtain EcoLogo Certification
By IDEA Communications
By IDEA Communications
June 8, 2011 – THYMOX®, an agricultural disinfectant developed by a company in Sherbrooke, Laboratoire M2, is the first agricultural disinfectant to obtain EcoLogo certification.
Founded in 1988 by the Canadian government, the EcoLogo program provides its customers – public, corporate and consumer – with assurance that the products and services bearing the logo meet the most stringent standards of environmental leadership. EcoLogo certifies leading ecological products in more than 70 categories.
The EcoLogo program is a Type 1 ecolabel, as defined by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). This means that the EcoLogo program compares a product or service with others of the same type, develops rigorous, scientifically relevant certification standards that accurately reflect the entire life cycle of a product and ensures that its compliance with certification standards is verified by an independent third party. The EcoLogo program is one of two such programs recognized in North America that have been successfully audited by the Global Ecolabelling Network (GEN) as meeting ISO 14024 standards for ecolabelling.
• Non-irritating to users with diluted application.
• Does not contain phosphates or EDTA, a persistent organic pollutant that is increasingly present in the environment.
• Does not contain coloring or aromas.
• Does not contain halogenated solvents, compounds that contribute to degradation of the ozone layer.
• Does not contain compounds toxic to aquatic life.
• Contains less than 1% volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
• Sold in chlorine-free, recyclable containers.
• Broad spectrum of activity: effective as a bactericide, fungicide and virucide.
• Low-toxicity: no danger to users or animals.
• Non-corrosive, for a longer service life of agricultural facilities.
• 100% biodegradable in less than 14 days (OECD 301E).
• Pleasant thyme fragrance.
• Approved by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).
• Developed and manufactured in Canada.
About Laboratoire M2
A Quebec leader in biosafety, Laboratoire M2 is renowned for its innovations and scientific and technical expertise in livestock farm disinfection and safety, including design of a cleaning and disinfecting protocol and its emergency response unit in the event of sanitary contamination. It owns and operates a state-of-the-art, containment level 2 microbiology laboratory, and is a pacesetter in R&D and private labelling with its disinfectant for institutional and household use.
For further information: