Merck Animal Health hosts poultry congress with a focus on the consumer
By Merck Animal HealthFeatures Research Animal Welfare Consumer relations Diseases Education Events Global Livestock medication Livestock Research Nutrition Poultry Production Poultry Research Research
July 26, 2017. Madison, NJ – Recently, Merck Animal Health (known as MSD Animal Health outside the USA and Canada) hosted its High Quality Poultry Congress (HQPC) for Europe and the Middle East in Prague, Czech Republic.
The main theme of this HQPC was “Broiler Production in the face of the Changing Consumer Landscape.” The Congress brought together experts from all over the world, who spoke about antibiotic free (ABF) production, nutritional health, hatchery management, animal welfare, and intestinal and respiratory disease control.
Attendees also had the opportunity to hear about the role of INNOVAX-ILT and INNOVAX-ND vaccines for control of Marek’s, Newcastle disease and Infectious Laryngotracheitis, including a customer presentation about their experience with the products.
“We are very proud to have had this opportunity to serve the poultry industry and support our customers as they adapt to an evolving marketplace and new consumer demands,” said William Vaughn, Global Poultry Marketing Director at Merck Animal Health.
Speakers at the High Quality Poultry Congress included:
- Pavel Mikoska (AHOLD Central Europe) – Consumer & Retailer Perspective
- Jeff Courtney, DVM (Pilgrim’s Pride) – Antibiotic Free Production: USA Industry Perspective
- Dr. Atle Lovland (Nortura) – Managing Production and Broiler Health in the Norwegian ABF Programme
- Ron Meijerhof (Poultry Performance Plus) – Managing for Chick Quality Using Management Techniques in Hatchery & Brooding
- Ellen van Eerden (Schothorst Feed Research) – Nutritional Perspectives for ABF Programs
- Daniel Dring (PD Hood Hatcheries) – Managing Antibiotic Free Production and Bird Welfare in a UK Integration
- Florence Humbert (FlowBio-Veto) – Food Safety Implications of ABF
- Richard Currie (x-OvO) – Next Generation Sequencing: Validating the Protectotype Concept
Merck Animal Health also introduced at this Congress, its first High Quality Poultry Science Award. This Award was established to offer students of poultry science the opportunity to share their research with a large global audience of poultry industry specialists.
The 2017 award was presented to Dr. Vishi Reddy, a post-doctoral scientist at The Pirbright Institute, who presented on “Novel Insights in the Pathogenesis of Infectious Laryngotracheitis and Bronchitis Viruses in Chickens.”
On behalf of the attendants of the High Quality Poultry Congress, Merck Animal Health also made a donation to the International Egg Foundation (IEF) in support of their mission to help famers in developing countries sustainably produce eggs to give more people access to a high-quality source of protein.
Print this page